pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Feb 9 08:13:36 UTC 2007

On 2007-Feb-08 17:16:23 -0500, John Walthall <johnzw at isp.com> wrote:
>functionally obsolete. User PPP provides better service, and several
>tangible design benefits. User PPP is very easy to use, Kernel PPP is not.

Actually, kernel PPP has one significant (at least theoretical)
advantage over user ppp:  Network data is not pushed through the
kernel/userland interface an additional two times.  This is irrelevant
for low-speed modem interfaces but could be significant for PPPoE on
high-speed broadband.  Keep in mind that a firewall host is likely to
be a slow box - either a pensioned-off desktop or a mini-ITX style
system.

>FreeBSD is NOT Linux, and SHOULD NOT attempt to model it. FreeBSD is BSD
>UNIX! Isn't that the WHOLE POINT (pardon my shouting) for our existence?

I'm not sure I see where Linux comes into this.  Looking back into
history, it seems that both ppp(4) and ppp(8) arrived fairly close
together.  It appears that ppp(4) was a port of the portable ppp-2.2
code - the same code as used in SunOS AFAIR.

--
Peter Jeremy