Filesystem corruption and bad perfomance with SRCS16 and PAE (raid 5 2TB)

Paul bsdlist at cogeco.ca
Wed Feb 7 20:24:11 UTC 2007

Hi Artem,

Yes amd64 is for both Intel and AMD platforms.

I have been having troubles with the SRCS16 on the amd64 platform 6.2
stable to give you the heads up if you are going this route.

I was able to get around the problem you mentioned (if it is the same
problem) by creating two arrays. One array was 100GIGs and the other
was the balance of the drive (about 1.7 TB). This seemed to get rid
of the corruption issues. Perhaps give this a try? going too close to
2TB was what I presumed was causing the corruption and read errors I
was going as it went away when I installed the two arrays. I found a
coupe of posts on another list that talk about this.

I am using a S5000PAL with 5 * 500GIG SATA drives with 6.2 stable amd64.

I did notice it was really SLOW when installing many parts of the new
system and I am still very unhappy with the setup. Let me know your
experience if you find it. I have done a bunch of benchmarking on
this with the port tools but I am stuck at the freezing issue as that
makes the system not usable.

I wonder if you try the amd64 if you have the same problem I am
having (slow performance, it locks for like 10-15 minutes when trying
to mount root on bootup, and there are freezes that seem to happen
from time to time when writing to the file system). I am still trying
to debug these problems but have not found anyone with the same
mother board yet with a working 6.2 amd64 install.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul