Filesystem corruption and bad perfomance with SRCS16 and PAE (raid 5 2TB)

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Feb 7 09:44:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:53:17AM +0300, Artem Kuchin wrote:
> Boris Samorodov wrote:

> >>Um.. i have never tried anything AMD in my life. I thought
> >>AMD64 is only for AMD CPUs and this is Intel Xeon.
> >>Are you really suggesting installing FreeBSD for  AMD64
> >>on this Xeon server? Why? Should it help?
> >
> >You may be interested at reading:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-amd64.html#PROC
>
> Actually i have read it many time before, but i guess, never paed
> attention ;)
>
> anyhow, this:
>
> "There may be some issues with 64-bit cleanliness in some (particularly
> older) drivers. Generally, drivers that already function correctly on other
> 64-bit platforms should work.
> FreeBSD/amd64 is a very young platform on FreeBSD. While the core FreeBSD
> kernel and base system components are generally fairly robust, there are
> likely to still be rough edges, particularly with third party packages."
>
> scares me. Do you really think it is better than PAE?

If a driver has problems on amd64 due to not being 64-bit clean, it is
likely to have at least as much problems with PAE.

Take a look at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PAE to see a list of all the drivers
that have been known to have problems with PAE.

PAE mode is an ugly hack which is best avoided unless you really have to go
beyond the 4 GB limit on older x86 CPU's.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se