6.1 to 6.2 freebsd-update binary upgrade on amd64

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 4 21:25:52 UTC 2007

Jim Howard wrote:
> I've used the 6.0 to 6.1/6.1 to 6.2 upgrade scripts on several i386
> machines (from here:
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006-11-26-freebsd-6.1-to-6.2-binary-upgrade.html)
> and it has worked flawlessly- and so easy!
>
> Today I updated a new amd64 server from 6.1 to 6.2 and after the process
> completed, I noticed that I ended up with a GENERIC kernel instead of
> SMP like I had before.

This is a known bug.  In short, the FreeBSD Update script uses `uname -i` to
figure out if you have a GENERIC or SMP kernel installed; this works fine on
i386, but for some reason the amd64 SMP kernel has an ident of "GENERIC".
This will be fixed before FreeBSD 6.3.

> If I were to roll back the update with freebsd-update, would I have do
> to it twice- once for the userland updates and once for the kernel?

No, just one rollback run should be sufficient.  Downgrading is easier than
upgrading, since you don't start running the new kernel until you reboot.

Colin Percival