Linux Binary Compitability

Thomas Roberts freebsd_tester at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 16:07:48 UTC 2007

How important is it to include Linux binary
compatibility when installing 6.2-RELEASE?  I am
guessing it is only needed if I want to use an
application that was compiled by/for Linux, but I am
new to FreeBSD so I will be using it mostly for:

1 - learning the system (i.e. what goes where, when
and why) and how to configure whatever can be
configured.
2 - running GNUstep and related development
applications to compliment  my Obj-C/Cocoa
development.
3 - running GNOME and/or KDE since GNUstep has a
limited number of applications available, most
notably, a web browser.
4 - learning to create and use shell scripts to
customize my environment.

The only applications I will be using are the ones in
the ports collection that I can use portmanager to
create and update.