Newbie Sempron/ISO question

Thomas Roberts freebsd_tester at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 05:42:54 UTC 2007

I need help deciding which ISO to install on my
machine, which is a Compaq Presario SR1620NX.  The
FreeBSD/amd64 Project web page says the Sempron uses
the AMD64 architecture so I installed the amd64
6.2-RELEASE ISO.  Since I want to stay with STABLE I
started reading on how to do it and am now confused as
to what I should do.The /var/log/dmesg.today file
says:

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ (1989.82-MHz
k8-class CPU)
Origin="AuthenticAMD" Id=0x20ff2 Stepping=2

While searching through bsdforums.org a poster said
the k8-class CPU is an Athlon64 locked in 32-bit mode
and if anyone has this CPU they should be using the
i386 ISO.

Whether I use the i386 or amd64 ISO I will be putting
the CPUTYPE?=k8 in my make.conf file so my question is
"Since I am specifying the CPUTYPE should I stay with
amd64 or start over with i386?"  I am not worried
about not having 64-bit capabilities, but I am worried
that using the i386 ISO will not use the CPU to its fulest.