Is it safe to use CPUTYPE?=native on 7.0 ?

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Sun Dec 16 08:09:10 PST 2007

fairly simple question really - on machines where I never use the compiled
binaries anywhere else, is it O.K. to set the CPU type to 'native' in
make.conf ? According to gcc this should detect the processor type and
set the various flas as approrpiate, which is nice, as we have a mix of P3,
P4 and AMD processors around the place, and having one make.conf which will
do the right thing on all of them would be nice.

I've been trying it out on a couple of machines, and it seems to work fine,
but I have a feeling that various bits of the kerenel complie are
sensetive to the cpu type, so am just asking to check if it's O.K.

cheers,

-pete.