BETA4 - acpi.thermal.tz0 always at 40,0C

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 04:21:40 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:53:20AM +0100, tequnix at frogmi.net wrote:
> sysctl shows __always__ 40°:
>
> $ sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 40,0C
>
> motherboard is a Asus M2A-VM, version is FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 amd64
>
> is this a motherboard issue, or a known issue, or a bug, can anybody
> confirm this behaviour, should i send_pr ?

It's very likely an ACPI configuration problem (with the motherboard/
motherboard BIOS).  I have some Asus boards which claim to support
the ACPI thermal zone stuff, but an ACPI configuration dump shows
the value being returned as a static 40C (e.g. the value is hard-coded
and isn't tied to any hardware).

You could use acpidump -d to confirm this.