7.0BETA4 cannot install. acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying (1 retry left)

Robert Gray robert.gray at boulderlabs.com
Sun Dec 9 15:29:58 PST 2007

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.org> Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:35:20 +0100 says:
>Robert Gray wrote:
>> I've tried to install both
>> 7.0-BETA4-i386-bootonly.iso and
>> 7.0-BETA4-i386-disc1.iso
>>
>> on a Dell Optiplex 745, Model# DCTR with
>>
>> acd0: CDROM <TSSTcorp CD-ROM TS-L162C/DE05> at ata3-master UDMA33
>>
>> The booting doesn't get past the acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying
>> error.
>>
>> 6.2 installs fine.
>>
>> Any ideas on what to try?
>

>Possibly Key 3 = Safe mode (before USA or country), which includes, ref my
>	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
>the equivalent of loader command
>	set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
>
>Please let me know if anything on my page above helps you,
>please also let me know if you discover other magic Not on my page.
>(I'm fighting a heap of old laptops, persuading them to upgrade :-))
>

>--
>Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com

Booting with Safe Mode (3) results in

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel
cpuid 0   apcid 00

instuction pointer 0x70:0xc8c0

The last line printed before the crash is
ata5: [ITHREAD]

If people want details, I'll use a camera on the screen because
I only get about 5 seconds before the computer restarts.

Robert