4.x Collecting pv entries Suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC,

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Fri Dec 7 08:15:00 PST 2007

Hi Steve,

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Uwe Doering wrote:
>> [...]
>> But you can put that option into the kernel config file:
>>
>>   options PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=...
>>
>> and build a new kernel with it.
>
> You are correct. My question is more how much should I increase it. The
> current default in the 4.x LINT file
> is "options PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201" should I double it? Increase it by 50
> to 251? Should it be a prime number?
> I am just asking for information.

The settings in the LINT file are not necessarily the defaults, rather
mere examples.  The default value for PMAP_SHPGPERPROC is 200 (defined
in the source file /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/pmap.c).  I would recommend to
increase it by 100 until the messages stop.  We use 300 on our servers,
for instance.

Regards,

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net