missing .cshrc and pf.conf after upgrade to 7.0-beta3

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 4 13:19:18 PST 2007

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 02:47:11 pm Colin Percival wrote:
>> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>> I am not 100% sure, maybe I overlook something in binary major version
>>> upgrade procedure, but after upgrade from 6.2 to 7.0-BETA3 my roots
>>> ~/.cshrc was "accidentally" replaced with dist version of .cshrc and
>>> /etc/pf.conf is missing.
>> The fact that /etc/pf.conf disappeared is due to it being removed from
>> the release (it is now in /usr/share/examples/etc).  The fact that /.cshrc
>> was upgraded in spite of having been locally modified is probably a bad
>> idea -- I'll change the default freebsd-update.conf to deal with this.
>
> Considering that /etc/pf.conf is a file that users edit to configure pf(4),
> removing it out from under them is probably a very bad idea.

The heuristics didn't work this time. :-(

FreeBSD Update tries to guess what users want to have done -- in this case,
the heuristic is "if a configuration file is present in release X but not
in release Y, it's probably not relevant in release Y; so let's delete it".
The case of a default configuration file being moved from /etc/ into
/usr/share/examples/etc is one which I didn't consider; but I think the
general heuristic is a good one (consider the scenario where a /etc/foo.conf
is renamed to /etc/food.conf -- with the current heuristic, at least the
user gets a warning that the file is disappearing rather than suddenly
finding that the foo daemon isn't starting up properly for no apparent
reason).

Colin Percival