2 x quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD

Zoran Kolic zkolic at sbb.co.yu
Tue Dec 4 07:35:58 PST 2007

> > Now we also have terribly performing PostgreSQL on 8-core server. We
> > noticed the slowdown after moving PostgreSQL from 2xXeon 3.0
> > Apache+PostgreSQL server to dedicated PostgreSQL server. I collected
> > some stats (see attach) before moving to Linux.

I'm sure that some code optimization could help to have
multicore enhancement. Rapidmind example comes as proof
that there is room to make things better.
I saw some text on Sun compiler making code more able to
use cores and get the speed. Intel also tried to do the
same. Maybe the same extent of work should be put on app
optimization, aside to os changes.
Despite I like bsd better, must to say that linux does not
sleep and wait.

                               Zoran