2 x quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:25:09 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 13:00 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Krassimir Slavchev wrote:
>
> > There is another report for such problems:
> >
> > http://blog.insidesystems.net/articles/2007/04/09/what-did-i-do-wrong
>
> Of course - FreeBSD 6.x is really bad at SMP where number of CPUs is
> larger then about 2 and the loads include much kernel work (e.g. IO,
> context switches). Numeric tasks (SSL) don't depend on the kernel and so
> they scale ok. See
> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/Scalability%20Update.pdf for
> details.
>
> Another issue is interesting in this thread: that apparently 7.0 also
> has a well defined workload where it fails.

There is also his follow up to that post, comparing postgres on 6.2 with
7.0 (ULE and 4BSD schedulers).

http://blog.insidesystems.net/articles/2007/04/11/postgresql-scaling-on-6-2-and-7-0

I'm very excited about getting some 7.0 servers into testing prior to
deployment as production mysql boxes. Having run 7-CURRENT on my lappy
for best part of 15 months, I think its supersmashinggreat :)

Tom