FreeBSD-6.2, 7.0-BETA1 on X60

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Mon Dec 3 08:33:52 PST 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 21:31:55 +0800 Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:

> I tried to install FreeBSD on X60 using PXE boot, but unsuccessfully
> finish my attempt.

> When it start PXE boot it get IP address from DHCP, download PXE boot
> file from TFTP server,
> then trying to load kernel image from TFTP server.

Did you look at /var/log/xferlog? Is there something interesting?

> After 10-20 minutes it give me error message "can't load kernel", I
> tried many times load boot/kernel/kernel, but same result.

You may try tcpdump/wireshark at the server side (as someone has
already suggested).

> I guess PXE boot read much longer time to load kernel file and
> suddenly give me error message.

> I followed instruction on http://www.hack.org/mc/freebsd-x60.html

There are many ways to run diskless. I found FreeBSD docs very useful:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-diskless.html
diskless(8), /usr/share/examples/diskless/clone_root

> I made X60---->LAN switch---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server and even tried
> X60---cross-over cable---->TFTP/DHCP/NFS server.

WBR
--