Intel S3000AH stall on boot

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sun Dec 2 18:48:13 PST 2007

Jack Vogel wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2007 8:32 PM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am doing some work for a company that recently bought 2 systems based
>> on the above motherboard and mostly they work fine, however on boot
>> just before userland starts they stall for about a minute. (Just after
>> it starts the second CPU).
>
> Did you happen to check if during that time the floppy disk is being accessed?
> If it is just reconfig the kernel with that device out and the hang
> won't happen.
>
> That is the only hang that I've seen that lasts that long.
>
> Jack

Or you can just turn it off in the BIOS to avoid having to fiddle with the
kernel.  *Why* this is happening is of more interest to me.  ISTM that
the kernel startup logic should be able to detect a floppy drive with no
disk in it and move on promptly.  I believe this because that is exactly
what 4.x did ... well, now that I think about it, I never tried 4.x on
the Intel MOBO that is causing this aggravation here....

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com