2 x quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:15:38 PST 2007

> > options         PAE
>
> One very probable culprit for slowness

I'd say it IS the culprit. PAE is known to decrease performance, and
this is probably 95% of the cause.

> Using _ULE might yield a bit more performance as well

Yes, in 7.0-BETA3 I'm seeing a 7% increase in performance (sysbench
with 8 threads on a 4-core system) with ULE over 4BSD.

Both great suggestions. If he needs the high memory support, I would
test without PAE just to test the performance (along with changing to
the ULE scheduler), then rebuild the system later with amd64 so he
doesn't have to use the PAE hack.

Regards,
Josh