Recent PAM changes worth an UPDATING entry?

mato gamato at users.sf.net
Tue Aug 28 16:01:41 PDT 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, martinko wrote:
>
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I just rebuilt and installed my world on my 6-stable box, and ran
>>> into a snag. Like a lot of users I use -DNO_CLEAN in buildworld
>>> since this is a very slow box that I use mostly as a file/dns
>>> server. After rebooting I could ssh in ok (probably because I don't
>>> use PAM for sshd) but couldn't su, or log in at the console.
>>>
>>> After looking at the errors, I figured out that I needed to
>>> completely recompile stuff related to PAM. Just to be on the safe
>>> side I did libpam, login, su, and getty. After that I was able to
>>> log in normally from the console, and su from either terminal.
>>>
>>> IMO this is worth an entry in UPDATING since I probably won't be the
>>> only user who stumbles across this.
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>

>> Doug,
>>
>> Could it possibly be related to the following issue of mine ?? :
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-July/153137.html
>>

> Sure sounds that way. Have you tried doing clean recompiles of those
> programs?
>
> Doug

Doug,

I'm not quite sure why after buildworld & installworld I would need to
recompile some stuff once again (apart from ports, if necessary, of
course).  Does it have something to do with -DNO_CLEAN and what exactly
?  Anyway, I didn't use it while doing my buildworld.

Anyway, I may try what you suggest (asap).  Meanwhile, could you pls
explain where you looked at for errors and what exactly you did
afterwards ??  (I was at lost myself)

Cheers,

Martin