A little story of failed raid5 (3ware 8000 series)

Freddie Cash fjwcash+freebsd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 08:47:45 PDT 2007

On August 24, 2007 02:31 am Clayton Milos wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:57:22 +0400
> >
> > "Artem Kuchin" <matrix at itlegion.ru> wrote:
> >> Um.. it is because i did not have a map of hot swap baskets to
> >> conroller ports and i needed to check every driver basket to
> >> understand which port it sits on. I have no choise, i think.
> >
> > I'm just going to highlight the importance of knowing which
> > physical disk is which on your system.
> >
> > About a year ago I had to replace a hot-swappable disk from an
> > array, but then realised I had no idea which physical disk it
> > was as the map of the disks was rather helpfully *inside* the
> > case. Due to the physical setup, I had no way or removing the
> > cover without first powering down the server - which defeated
> > the whole point of paying extra for hot-swap disks.
> >
> > So yeah, be sure to label your disk bays, but be sure to put
> > those labels somewhere *useful*.
> >
> > -fr.
>
> Useful like on the front of the drive bays ;-)
> The Areca cards have a nice function called drive identify that lights
> up the selected drive's LED. I think the 3ware cards have it too.

That's only useful if the drive LEDs are configured to correctly match the
port.  :)  We've had custom built servers with 4 drive bays arrive with
the LEDs either not connected, or connected to different ports on the
RAID controller than the drives were on.  Very confusing until we started
double-checking the connections when the servers arrived.

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fjwcash+freebsd at gmail.com