powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Wed Aug 22 03:20:10 PDT 2007

On Monday 06 August 2007 09:28:35 JoaoBR wrote:

> I had a chance to test several MBs with the same 6000+, 5000+ and 4600+ cpu
>
> At the end seems that the problem is mb/hardware related since some
> combinations hung even with latest BIOS installed and others not.

not sure if somebody still wants to hear about this but it is kind of
interesting I guess

for my understandings in first place the MB and Bios is most important thing
and there are vendor bios out which say they support the higher freq CPUs but
certainly they don't or at least not all of them

even so I gut freezes on all kind of combinations and seems that xorg and it's
video drv are kind of very sensitive to certain settings, also with glx and
dri disabled I still got freezings sooner or later

I got a new monitor this days and that brought the real stuff up, seems that
xorg is not liking when the HorizSync and VertRefresh rates are not 100%
correct and what then cause the kill. In order to doublecheck this I took my
old monitor back with correct settings and i got no further freezes either
with any of the CPU/MB combinations I tested before.

I have an LCD which can 1280x1024 at 75hz , the former could 1024x768 at 75hz
and with both it works now fine with

VertRefresh 50-100
HorizSync   31.5 - 82.0

before I had

VertRefresh 50 - 90
HorizSync   30 - 75

one thing more I did which caused a sysctl error on boot. There is a funny
line in /etc/rc.s/power_profile as 'highest_value="C1"' which I commented out
but I guess that has nothing to do since the setting was not accepted

anyway xorg seems to have problems when enabling DPMS and returns wrong
values. The vesa driver seems to work better or is less sensitive than sis
and nv and ati but with the correct monitor rates all are working fine.

well, I believe that's it because I have now two different MATX MBs running
24h with Athlon 5000 without any problem, since friday night

--

João