Recent PAM changes worth an UPDATING entry?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 18 16:43:01 PDT 2007

Howdy,

I just rebuilt and installed my world on my 6-stable box, and ran into a
snag. Like a lot of users I use -DNO_CLEAN in buildworld since this is a
very slow box that I use mostly as a file/dns server. After rebooting I
could ssh in ok (probably because I don't use PAM for sshd) but couldn't
su, or log in at the console.

After looking at the errors, I figured out that I needed to completely
recompile stuff related to PAM. Just to be on the safe side I did libpam,
login, su, and getty. After that I was able to log in normally from the
console, and su from either terminal.

IMO this is worth an entry in UPDATING since I probably won't be the only
user who stumbles across this.

Doug