apache problems

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 16 12:17:14 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 08:39:28PM +0200, Reinhold wrote:
> Thanks for the reply
>
> I'm having some mail problems as well, today is not my day.
>
> I'll remove all the stuff you mentioned and change back to 4BSD
> Will I have to recompile all the ports as well?

Nope, you won't.

> I don't think its a PF problem because I have used this rule set of mine
> for a few years with no problems at all, but I'll recheck that just to
> make sure.

Some rules appear to work fine, but actually cause problems in certain
conditions.  For example, we cannot use the "reassemble tcp" feature
of scrub, or else it breaks all sorts of stuff on our network.  You
wouldn't notice it until you did something that involves a lot of I/O
via ssh, such as "while true; do dmesg; done", which after 2-3 seconds
would result in a TCP connection getting severed.

My point is, rule out everything if you can.  :-)

> Now for the mail problem I'm having its got to do with postfix sending
> mail from any ip address and not from the one that I want it to, but thats
> a later problem and on another box, I first want to get this apache thing
> sorted..

That's an easy one: use smtp_bind_address in main.cf.  I've got a
little two-liner comment in my main.cf about the difference between
inet_interfaces and smtp_bind_address:

  # inet_interfaces defines what IPs/FQDNs to bind to for listening sockets.
  # smtp_bind_address defines what IP to bind to when delivering mail.
  inet_interfaces = mx01.sc1.parodius.com, localhost
  smtp_bind_address = 72.20.106.3

Also, AFAIK, you have to use an IP address for smtp_bind_address
but not for inet_interfaces.