twa is giant locked in 7-Current or everywhere?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Aug 15 11:01:27 PDT 2007

The TWA driver uses an INTR_FAST handler, meaning that it forgoes the
traditional interrupt-thread model in FreeBSD.  There are good and bad
tradeoffs with doing that, and I'm always happy to discuss the topic
in detail with those who are interested.  In any case, most of the
codepaths inside of the driver were still covered by Giant, just not
the low-level interrupt handler.

In 7-CURRENT, I changed the CAM (SCSI) layer API a bit, and the TWA
driver was an unfortunate victim of the change.  The easy fix was to
revert the interrupt handler to being fully Giant-covered.  There should
be very little difference in actual performance unless the interrupt is
being shared with another device.  Even then the difference should be
minor.

Pushing the TWA source forward so that it is Giant-free would be an
interesting task.  Unfortunately, the existing code relies heavily on
spin locks, while CAM requires that Giant-free drivers use sleep locks.
Since this code is actively maintained by AMCC/3Ware, some amount of
coordination would be needed with them to ensure the changes are
accepted.

Scott