default dns config change causing major poolpah

Feargal Reilly feargal at fbi.ie
Thu Aug 2 17:37:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:32:42 -0700
Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> The root server operators do not make changes in this kind of
> abrupt fashion.

This, I think, is the root (sic) of the objections here in
FreeBSD land. I expect many people think the same of the FreeBSD
project - that it won't make changes of this kind in a abrubt
fashion, but that is exactly what has happened here.

When I was updating, mergemaster highlighted the change and I
thought, "How odd, I guess I missed that announcement", and
merrily zapped it with my existing config. I didn't get upset,
partly because I didn't really think very hard about the impact,
but mostly because I assumed I was at fault for having missed
the heads-up about it.

As to what the default should be, I don't know, that's for all
you smart people out there to "debate" so that the rest of us,
who are eternally indebted to you, don't have to.

I suspect that the vast majority of users also don't have an
opinion either way, but enjoy hanging out in the bikeshed, just
like me.

-fr.

--
Feargal Reilly, Chief Techie, FBI.
PGP Key: 0xBD252C01 (expires: 2006-11-30)