default dns config change causing major poolpah

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed Aug 1 21:21:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:32:42PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > This is about on par with <unnamed network equipment manufacturer>
> > selling SOHO routers that synchronize their clocks using stratum-1
> > NTP servers.
>
> I don't really think that analogy holds up, given that those who run
> public stratum-1 NTP servers specifically request that individual
> hosts not sync from them.

The analogy is more true than you believe.  Someone told you on this
very same list that it was not allowed, and you argued that it wasn't
denied therefore it should be okay.  You're doing an excellent job of
ignoring contrary opinions and reinventing facts.

And the very same root operators are on dns-operations list telling you
not to do this, and you are ignoring them there too.

> If there is a consensus based on solid technical reasons (not emotion
> or FUD) to back the root zone slaving change out, I'll be glad to do
> so. I think it would be very useful at this point if those who _like_
> the change would speak up publicly as well.

Everyone has spoken up, and you've ignored every one of them.  Including
the root operators themselves.  Because they are unable to convince you,
they're going to have to disable AXFR and break a lot of things all over
the world to get this stupidity stopped.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek