xfce4 desktop broken, complaining about libmd5.so.1

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Apr 27 16:46:35 UTC 2007

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > > $ cd /usr/ports
 > > > $ echo */*/pkg-plist | xargs grep libmd5.so.1
 > > [...]
 > > http://www.secnetix.de/tools/porgle/
 > >
 > > Enter "libmd5.so.1" into the search field, check the
 > > "packing list" checkbox, and click the "Search" button.
 >
 > I suspect both of these methods wouldn't help if the plist was
 > dynamically generated (alas)

Yes, that's correct, at least for the first method (grep).
I mentioned that in the previous mail (it was omitted from
the quote):

 > (That approach works for most ports and files, but
 > not for all of them.  Some ports generate their
 > packing list (plist) dynamically, but fortunately
 > those are a small minority.)

However, the second method uses a few hacks so the plist
files from most ports are included, even dynamically
generated ones.  There are still a few exceptions, in
particular those linux ports that use AUTOMATIC_PLIST,
but those are only 10 out of 16,925 ... so I'm not
terribly worried.  :-)

For example, searching for "inflate.java" will correctly
find the port archivers/jzlib, even though that port
generates its plist dynamically.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson