How to report bugs (Re: 6.2-STABLE deadlock?)

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Wed Apr 25 08:57:18 UTC 2007

Oleg Derevenetz wrote:
[snip]
> Not all people can do deadlock debugging, though. In my case turning on
> INVARIANTS and WITNESS leads to unacceptable performance penalty due to heavily
> loaded server. So I can only describe my case, actions and result without
> providing any debug information.

I'd say that I completely agree with Kris because that it's very hard
for developers to investigate problems if there is no detailed
information available, especially for those problems that can not easily
reproduced.  Of course, deadlock debugging could be tricky, but having a
backtrace can usually save a lot of time (and fortunately that is not
that hard even for average users :)

What I wanted to suggest is that, we hope that the submitter can provide
detailed steps to reliably reproduce the problem whenever possible, if
they are not able to diagnose the problem themselves, so we will be able
to extract more information at lab, and possibly reach a fix.

The problem I have is that the reporter of the issue is not quite
cooperative as they did before, and what I wanted to say is that it's
possible to trigger the livelock without nullfs/unionfs, and I did not
figured out why (yet) because I can not reproduce it in my environment :-(

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!