question: +swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed

Harald Schmalzbauer harry at schmalzbauer.de
Tue Apr 24 08:00:36 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a little understanding problem:
My box has 128MB memory, far enough for the task.
After a few days I always see some processes dying because:

+swap_pager_getswapspace(2): failed
+pid 48211 (perl5.8.8), uid 58, was killed: out of swap space

Why won't for example the 21MB Buf get freed before more swap space gets
requested than available (swap is very low, it's FlashDisk!)?
Is there a way to find out what process is swapped?

Thanks for any hints. My only way to circumvent this problem is to reboot the
machine daily.

-Harry