6.2-STABLE (i386) Repeating crash (supervisor read, page not present)

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Mon Apr 23 17:31:20 UTC 2007

Michael Proto wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 01:24:52PM +0100, Tom Judge wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Recently I have noticed that one of our Dell PE1950's has been crashing
>>> a lot with the following reason "supervisor read, page not present".
>>>
>>> The system runs 6.2 Release under i386.
>>>
>>> I have attached 2 back traces, and I still have both cores if any more
>>> information is required.  Any light that can be shed on this problem
>>> would be greatly appreciated.

<<<SNIP/>>>

>> You might be hitting a bug in an obscure code path because of the
>> above errors.  I'm CC'ing someone who might be able to help.
>>
>> Kris
>>

> Bear in mind that a recent "urgent" firmware update was released by Dell
> last week for 1950, 1955, and 2950 systems that is supposed to fix some
> data-corruption issues related to dual-core processors. I don't know if
> this problem is a symptom of that, but it strongly suggested to apply
> the firmware update regardless.

I have just been to dells site and there are firmware updates for almost
every component in the system released about 2 weeks ago (10-11/4).  I
have around 17 [12]950's waiting to go into pre production testing at
the moment so I think that I will spend some time upgrading the firmware
on them now rather than later.

Thanks for the heads up.

Tom