sio0: port may not be enabled

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com
Sat Apr 21 08:07:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
>> Look closely at the dmesg line, note what device sio0 is claiming to be
>> associated with (acpi0, not isa0):
>>
>>> sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10
>>> on acpi0
>>
>> This is one of the drawbacks to using ACPI.
>
> This is not a drawback. It's partly why ACPI was designed and
> implemented:
> to describe legacy hardware.
>
>> Some systems apparently tie the serial port to ACPI functionality in a
>> different way.  For example, I have a couple boxes which have sio0
>> attached to acpi0 that work fine.  In some other cases, I have ones
>> which result in a non-working serial port unless I disable ACPI (thus
>> sio0 shows up as being attached to isa0).
>
> Could you try uart(4) instead. It seems quite excessive to have to
> disable ACPI just to get a serial port working. I'd like to know
> if this is related to the sio(4) driver or something else.
This did the trick:

uart0: <16550 or compatible> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
uart1: <16550 or compatible> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0

ports are swapped but this is probably because I swap them in bios, but
this is ok.
Serial is working and now I can start working on the main problem :)
So it's not acpi problem, but instead problem with sio?

Thank you very much for your help!

--
Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev