relocation truncated to fit

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Sun Apr 8 21:44:16 UTC 2007

I have a problem reported to me in ports/111165 about ksh93 not
compiling on the sparc64 platform due to the linker reporting
"relocation truncated to fit".  This is an error I have never seen.  I
know for a fact that it is not strictly a sparc64 platform issue as I
have seen reference to it in relation to amd64.  However, I have never
seen a resolution of the problem.I believe that this is a gcc issue.

How do I fix this?  I cannot find any information in the Freebsd site
about this mysterious error message.  I know that ksh93 works on sparc64
because the ksh93 developers are working with Sun to install it as a
default shell in Solaris 11.  Therefore, it works with the Sun
compiler.  Why do I get this error on gcc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/Joe