Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Apr 5 22:25:20 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:57:09 +0200
> From: "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh at gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> first i understand your need's right! More Text on screen at boot time,
> but i have never get this working at boot time, but directly after boot.
>
> In my case my Kernels would be compiles with:
> options SC_PIXEL_MODE
>
> and in /boot/loader.conf
> vesa_load="YES"
>
> and in /etc/rc.conf something like this:
> keymap="german.iso"
> font8x16="iso15-8x16"
> font8x14="iso15-8x14"
> font8x8="iso15-8x8"
> allscreens_flag="MODE_280"
>
> In my case with german keyboard, change these things to
> your needs.
> The allscreens_flag you could get as mentoided in other answers with
> vidcontrol -i mode, i remember that someone has tell you to use
> MODE_279, but i doesn't know if this is the best case for all cards.
>
> For a single test you can set the mode from one terminal (like ttyv0)
> after logging in with
> vidcontrol MODE_280
> or that likes to your modes for your Graphiccard.
>
> If anyone else knows how we can set the vid-mode at boot-time so that the
> bootmessages are every time in such a mode tell me please how it
> works. In the Kernel NOTEs i have only found a line like
> options VGA_WIGTH90, but thi is not my desired resolution.

I used to do this, but I discovered that my scrollback buffer "lost" th
24 lines in the screen when the mode changes and I couldn't live with
that.

It would be nice to have the display at boot time, but, if I did not
lose data, I would be happy to have it from when it starts.

In any case, I figure that people who want X, will go with X. Some folks
still like a plain old command-line console. I use X, but I don't start
with xdm, kdm, or any other. I still like to see what is happening and
enter 'startx' when I am good and ready. Sometimes I am not ready for the
entire session. I don't always want all of X sitting between me and my CLI.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)