btx crashes when booting 6.1 from usb cdrom

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Thu Apr 5 19:54:43 UTC 2007

Konstantin Belousov wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:21:05AM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
>

>>Hello List,
>>
>>When I boot linux from my usb cdrom it works great
>>- but when I try the
>>6.1 release media
>>it fails - BTX crashes.
>>
>>I found a listed bug kern/85257 that seems to be
>>the same problem. Had
>>this been resolved?
>>Will it be resolved?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Steve
>>

>If you could build custom boot images, try
>http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/realbtx
>realbtx.2.patch is the patch, and loader is the /boot/loader built with that
>patch applied. If you could rearrange CD image with that loader put into
>/boot, then try to load from it and report results.
>
>CAUTION: Do not install boot2 or loader on your harddrive, code had very
>little exposure and may cause you machine to become unbootable.

Hi Konstantin,

Thanks this worked. I have another question though. I mounted the distro
1 cd and
cd to /cdrom and did
tar cSf - . |(cd /usr/myboot;tar xSf -)
so I could move in the new loader program. The problem is I ended up with an
iso file system after I did
mkisofs -R -no-emul-boot -b boot/cdboot -o /tmp/bootable.iso /usr/myboot
that was 991mb which was to big to put on a CD. Where did I go wrong?

Since this was only a test I rm'ed packages, rescue and release
directories, but how did it all
fit on the CD originally?

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)