Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

Craig Boston craig at feniz.gank.org
Thu Apr 5 13:39:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:25:46AM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> FWIW, most of the time machines boot without _anyone_
> watching anyway.  If you need to see the boot messages,
> you ssh into the box and type "dmesg -a" or look at the
> file /var/run/dmesg.boot (and /var/log/console.log
> which can be enabled via /etc/syslog.conf).

Yes, and usually if I'm standing in front of a server watching it boot
it's because there's something wrong, so I _WANT_ to see the boot
messages in order to diagnose it :)

bootsplash is kind of fun for desktops, but not really necessary and it
wastes kernel memory that you never get back.

That being said, I can see a place for SC_PIXEL_MODE, especially on
laptops that don't stretch to native resolution so your console ends up
being a tiny box in the middle of the screen.

I only wish 1024x768x4 worked right as (on most cheap video hardware
anyway) pushing all the data for 16-bit modes though VESA is quite slow.
As it's mostly an IO bandwidth issue, the planar modes should be faster.
I can get 800x600x8 working and it's definitely quicker than 800x600x16.

Craig