Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Tue Apr 3 15:18:15 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 April 2007 05:45 pm, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 April 2007 06:24, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > 1024x768 is a pretty standard VESA mode used on a lot of people's
> > text consoles.  :)  On most videocards, MODE_279 will be 1024x768
> > w/16 bpp colour.  Check the output of "vidcontrol -i".  You'll see a
> > lot of different modes, some text, some
> > raster/bitmap/VESA/whatever-you-call-it.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with X or any GUI.
>
> I don't understand why people who want high resolution consoles don't
> run X.

Why should we run X on a server just to get a larger text console?  Or on
a laptop that we don't always want to wait for X to load?  Sometimes,
it's nice to be able to use the entire screen without having to load up a
lot of unneeded software, like the entire X stack.

> It is a *lot* faster for the vast majority of cards (ie ones which
> aren't doing VESA modes).
>
> Scrolling a screen full of text at a decent resolution using VESA ==
> slideshow.

Not in my experience on a Toshiba laptop using a Radeon 7000 chipset.  In
VMWare, scrolling a 1024x768 screen during a port compile is chunky.  But
doing so on my laptop I see no difference between the text console and a
tab in Konsole.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net