Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

Schiz0 schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:24:21 UTC 2007

Hey,

I'm wondering how you can increase the resolution of the console in FreeBSD
stable. I have read the man page on vidcontrol and googled around a bit, but
I'm still confused about what to do. I'm currently running FreeBSD in VMWare
on a windows machine (But that'll change as soon as I learn enough to put it
up my server, which currently runs linux). I'd like to have something like
1024x768 resolution or so. Also, the man pages mention something about VESA
modules. What exactly is this, and do I need it? My kernel is currently
compiled without support for it. Would I need to recompile my kernel again?

Thanks,
~Schiz0