6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Sep 29 14:37:44 PDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 04:21:55PM -0500, Craig Boston wrote:
> Doesn't seem to have any effect for me (other than high sys% times).
> qemu is really good at provoking my em0 to timeout.

What might be useful for someone who can provoke this, is to configure
your kernel with MUTEX_PROFILING, then do the following:

sysctl debug.mutex.prof.enable=1
start_your_test_case
sysctl debug.mutex.prof.enable=0

Then:

sysctl debug.mutex.prof.stats > stats.out

and provide access to that file.

This will help to show whether something is causing Giant starvation.

Kris