6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Thu Sep 28 13:07:00 PDT 2006

Hi!

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:47:09PM -0500, Alan Amesbury wrote:
> Additional data point:  On 6.1-RELEASE I've observed the same sort of
> behavior, but without any noticeable consistency.  It affects bge(4) and
> em(4) systems.  In the case of the bge(4)-equipped system, there's a
> very weak correlation between heavy disk activity and watchdog timeouts.
>  However, on that system, it doesn't look like the network card shares
> its PCI bus and interrupt with any other devices:

Same here, just to make sure to get that point through:

em doesn't share an interrupt with anything else
-> hang will occur sooner or later if the system is busy
(sometimes later, but reproducably)

force system to share interrupt of, say, ata0 and em0
-> immediate *kaboom* whenever both are busy

HTH,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100