Fwd: Re: grep command not working as expected

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 28 04:57:34 PDT 2006

Stephen Allen <freebsduk at rowyerboat.com> wrote:
 > A simple grep command, 'grep -vf patternfile inputfile' works on Linux,
 > but the same command doesn't work on FreeBSD-6.1.

Can you provide an example, please?  "grep -fv" seems to
work fine for me on FreeBSD 6.1.

 > To make it work I found I had to use -F to force the interpretation of
 > fixed-strings.  I don't know why it made a difference from Linux, and
 > nothing in the man page appears to mention why.

The -F option is documented in the manual page.  Without
it, patterns are interpreted as basic regular expressions.
With that option, they're interpreted as fixed string.

If Linux behaves differently, then that's a bug in Linux
rather than in FreeBSD.  But then again, both Linux and
FreeBSD use GNU grep ...

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is to C as Lung Cancer is to Lung."
        -- Thomas Funke