6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Wed Sep 27 08:59:53 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 08:55:53AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > The SMBus Interface is not used at all (it's not even really usable).
> > Anyway, as soon as I unload the ichsmb module I cannot triger the
> > problem anymore. If I load it again, the problem cann again be triggered
> > by a buildworld. Statistical relevance: I did 4 buildworlds, alternating
> > the load/unload of ichsmb - both times with ichsmb loaded I saw 3
> > watchdog timeouts during the buildworld was running, while ichsmb was
> > not loaded I did not see a single watchdog timeout. The use of the
> > interface was around the same during all the time (constant NFS traffic
> > of around 1-2 MBit/s).
>
> Interesting find.  For what it's worth -- I too load the appropriate
> smbus drivers on the system with the "em0 problem" (loading smbus and
> ichsmb).  That system is a single processor / single core system, with
> HT disabled in the BIOS (which doesn't matter since FreeBSD disables
> it anyways).  Kernel is non-SMP.  Only reason I mention this is:
>
> > The UP/SMP idea seems to be only of interest, because on an UP machine
> > it's more likely to share interrupts than on SMP machines, it has
> > nothing to do with the fact of UP or SMP itself.

I don't think it has to especially with ichsmb here, but only with the
fact, that ichsmb is for me exactly the thing that shares the interrupt
with the em interface that shows the problems.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |