6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed Sep 27 08:56:33 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 05:28:24PM +0200, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> Disk activity does not trigger the problem, I hammered the disk with
> around 85 MB/s (dd) for about half an hour without seeing any effect. A
> CPU bound thing like a buildworld triggered the problem.
>
> The SMBus Interface is not used at all (it's not even really usable).
> Anyway, as soon as I unload the ichsmb module I cannot triger the
> problem anymore. If I load it again, the problem cann again be triggered
> by a buildworld. Statistical relevance: I did 4 buildworlds, alternating
> the load/unload of ichsmb - both times with ichsmb loaded I saw 3
> watchdog timeouts during the buildworld was running, while ichsmb was
> not loaded I did not see a single watchdog timeout. The use of the
> interface was around the same during all the time (constant NFS traffic
> of around 1-2 MBit/s).

Interesting find.  For what it's worth -- I too load the appropriate
smbus drivers on the system with the "em0 problem" (loading smbus and
ichsmb).  That system is a single processor / single core system, with
HT disabled in the BIOS (which doesn't matter since FreeBSD disables
it anyways).  Kernel is non-SMP.  Only reason I mention this is:

> The UP/SMP idea seems to be only of interest, because on an UP machine
> it's more likely to share interrupts than on SMP machines, it has
> nothing to do with the fact of UP or SMP itself.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |