6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Sep 27 06:58:30 PDT 2006

At 09:25 AM 9/27/2006, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>Hi!
>
>On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 02:42:30PM +0200, Philippe Pegon wrote:
>
> > it's just a me too. On our ftp server (ftp8.fr.freebsd.org), sometimes
> > we see some "watchdog timeout" in the log with a bge card, but maybe it's
> > not the same problem... :
>
>As far as I know the watchdog timeouts are _supposed_ to be
>mostly harmless, i.e. recoverable.

If it up / downs the interface, it can be painful depending on your
setup. In one of the colos I dont have control over, the switch port
will block for 15 seconds for Spanning Tree when the interface
transitions like that.   Even in cases where this does not happen, a
1-2 second network outage can play havoc with some applications.

         ---Mike