Building a kernel with config ?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 26 04:34:16 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 11:23:49AM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:34:42 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> >
> >2. Building a kernel with config is not officially supported. It's at
> >   your risk and may not work in all cases. Build a kernel with:
> >   cd /usr/src
> >   make buildkernel
>
> I was not aware that you wern't supposed to use config anymore - and I
> am not convinced that the suggested alternative is actually a replacement
> as I thought that buildkernel required you to have built the world first ?
> Is this no longer true ? If it *is* true thhen what is the alternative to
> using 'config' which should be used if you are on a system where you do
> not have the time or the disc space to rebuild the world and simply want
> to recompile the kernel ?

If you're upgrading or cross-building for a different architecture
then you should be using the upgrade path via buildworld/buildkernel.

If you're building the kernel on (and for) a system whose binaries
match the sources you're attempting to build your kernel from, you
are of course free to use the classical "config/make" method.

Basically, the upgrade path does the same thing (config/make) but
also ensures that the tools (compiler, toolchain, headers, libraries,
config(8), etc.) that are used for the kernel build are up-to-date
with your sources.  Obviously, when you're NOT upgrading and cross
building, your installed tools are up-to-date with your sources, and
can be used safely, so you can use a classical config/make method.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org