/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/local_apic.c and status of ULE

Viktor Rosendahl viktor.rosendahl at saunalahti.fi
Tue Sep 26 02:11:14 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I wonder, what is the status of the ULE scheduler? Is it supposed to work at
all?

I upgraded my -stable system some time ago and it started to hang at the end
of the boot process, right before the mounting of the root device. I found
out that the immediate cause was a change
in  /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/local_apic.c.

I attach a patch that reverts the change, so that you can see what I am
talking about. However, it only hangs if I use the ULE scheduler. That's why
I wonder whether the ULE scheduler is supposed to work or not.

Now, I understand that it might very well depend on some additional local
condition. Thus, I also attach my dmesg (of a successful boot) and my kernel
configuration file.

best regards,

Viktor