Upgrading to 6.2 stable - failed to compile kernel

FreeBSD Noob freebsd_stable_200609 at happy-fish.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 23:30:06 PDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:48:08 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, I have already deleted the bounce message. I may get
>another when I send this.

Don't worry, I tried sending a test message from a gmail account and
it bounced too.  I've changed the mailbox in my address to something
else.

>About the only thing you should put in make.conf is the name of your
>kernel config file:
>KERNCONF=MY_SYS would cause the config file /sys/i386/conf/MY_SYS to be
>used, assuming it's an i386 system.

OK.  Is that equivalent to declaring it as a make command parameter:
| make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_SYS
or do I really need to put it in make.conf?

>Are you sure that your kernel and world are in sync?
I'm not sure I understand what 'in sync' really means.  I upgraded the
system from 6.1 release using the 6.2 pre-release ISOs which upgraded
the binaries and installed the GENERIC kernel, but refused to upgrade
the sources - so I then ran cvsup to update the sources using a
supfile based on stable-supfile.
Machine is 120 MHz and make buildworld is ongoing - should be time for
another cup of tea I think!

The only significant changes to GENERIC I need are:
options 	PPS_SYNC
options	HZ=100

Cheers

Geoff