Patch: sym(4) "VTOBUS FAILED" panics on amd64, amd64/89550

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Mon Sep 25 20:13:24 PDT 2006

Attached is a simpler patch, after some feedback from Stefan over general
niceness.

It removes the amd64 special case by splitting the target member (an array
of struct sym_tcb) of sym_hcb out into a separately allocated structure.
This way there is never a need to allocate anything bigger than a page and
the whole problem goes away with minimal change, less wasted memory and
fewer outright hacks.

I did spend some time looking at ripping out the custom allocator entirely,
and got as far as it building and one of the cache tests failing.  I don't
think I'm going to spend the time to track down why;  if anyone wants to
pick it up then let me know.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen