Upgrading to 6.2 stable - failed to compile kernel

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Mon Sep 25 15:09:30 PDT 2006

> I was just fightened by all this make.conf stuff!  If everything is in
> my kernel file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MINIMUM_PPS, can I just
> ignore make.conf?

Your MINIMUM_PPS file contains the entire kernel configuration and
unless you want to tweak additional options (compiler flags and
optimization settings for example), there is no need to modify make.conf.

> I wasn't sure if that was necessary.  I takes about 2 hours to build
> the kernel without modules, about 15 hours with modules - I've no idea
> how long buildworld is going to take...

A buildworld takes considerably longer than a kernel build. If a kernel
takes hours, a buildworld could be a few days... you must be using a
very slow machine. A kernel build on my Centrino 1.6GHz takes only a few
minutes.

- Bartosz