probs on 6.2-prerelease

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Mon Sep 25 06:08:29 PDT 2006

Michael Vince wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I don't know if this is pre 6.2 specific but I changed my /etc/tty for
> device ttyd0 to 'on' from 'off' and when I rebooted the pc I couldn't
> login via regular KVM console, just don't get a login.
> The more alarming thing was that while it appeared everything was
> booting up from the boot up messages on the screen, I couldn't remotely
> log into the server in fact it appears the machine didn't bring up the
> Ethernet device as I couldn't even ping it.
> As soon as I switched the ttyd0 back to 'off' and rebooted it I could
> ssh back into the server etc.
> I have a regular kernel and 1 jail and samba on this machine.

I know this isn't a "yes I'm having problems" response but thought it
might be useful anyway.

I'm running 6.2-pre on a Soekris Engineering Net4501 with ttyd0 enabled
in /etc/ttys and I'm not having any problems with the system booting or
logging in via serial console. SSH logins work fine and the network is
brought-up as normal during boot. I've had this system in the same
config (in regards to /etc/ttys) since the 6 was still the HEAD branch
and I have yet to see problems with it. One difference here is that I
don't have any virtual consoles enabled BUT ttyd0 (and
pseudo-terminals), as this box doesn't have a video card, just a serial
port.

FreeBSD marconi.localnet 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue
Sep 12 03:06:13 EDT 2006
root at marconi-dev.localnet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MINIBSD6  i386

/etc/ttys:
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/etc.i386/ttys,v 1.10 2003/10/24 15:44:08 simokawa Exp $
#       @(#)ttys        5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off insecure
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off insecure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
# Dumb console
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure

-Proto