Direct Rendering Manager problems

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Sep 25 05:56:53 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:42:44PM +0400, Andrew Kolchoogin wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
>     I've recently discovered some oddity with DRM on FreeBSD.
>
>     Maybe it's a FAQ, but it seems to me that both on-demand kernel
> module loading and loading them in /boot/loader.conf is broken on recent
> RELENG_6.

That does not appear to be my experience; more details below.

>     I've an ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 and self-built RELENG_6. When I
> started X, X.org server reports that no DRI available. Manual looking
> into /dev shows that no /dev/dri directory presents at all. Loading
> radeon.ko in /boot/loader.conf doesn't fix the problem. Also no
> DRM-related lines appears in dmesg output.
>
>     But problem goes away after adding line "device radeondrm" to
> kernel configuration file, rebuilding kernel and rebooting the machine.
> Direct Rendering Manager initialises correctly, and node /dev/dri/card0
> exists.
>
>     Are there any suggestions for additional testing?

Here is some relevant information from my current laptop.  Note that its
disk drive was moved from the previous laptop (same model, but used an
nVidia video card), so I had merely commented out loading the nvidia
module while I was working on switching to the radeon module (and hadn't
yet got around to deleting the line).

g1-18(6.2-P)[1] uname -a
FreeBSD g1-18.catwhisker.org. 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #185: Sun Sep 24 06:36:42 PDT 2006     root at g1-18.catwhisker.org.:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/LAPTOP_30W  i386
g1-18(6.2-P)[2] ls -la /dev/dri/
total 1
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       512 Sep 24 10:19 .
dr-xr-xr-x  5 root  wheel       512 Dec 31  1969 ..
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    0, 135 Sep 24 10:18 card0
g1-18(6.2-P)[3] kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   16 0xc0400000 6a00b8   kernel
 2    3 0xc0aa1000 1adb8    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc0abc000 59f00    acpi.ko
 4    1 0xc487f000 6000     linprocfs.ko
 5    1 0xc4a13000 2000     rtc.ko
 6    1 0xc4c15000 1e000    radeon.ko
 7    1 0xc4c33000 e000     drm.ko
g1-18(6.2-P)[4] cat /boot/loader.conf
boot_verbose="YES"
debug.mpsafenet="1"
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
# nvidia_load="YES"
linux_load="YES"
g1-18(6.2-P)[5] grep -i driver /etc/X11/XF86Config
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Driver      "mouse"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        Driver      "radeon"
g1-18(6.2-P)[6] grep 'ATI Technologies Inc Radeon' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] rev 1, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27, 0xfcff0000/16, I/O @ 0xc000/8, BIOS @ 0x80000000/17
g1-18(6.2-P)[7]

So it looks to me as if X handles loading the radeon.ko module and
that (in turn) creates the /dev/dri/* entries -- as expected.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Believe SORBS at your own risk: 63.193.123.122 has been static since Aug 1999.