Problems with OpenVPN+routing and creating tun0 interface

Václav Haisman V.Haisman at sh.cvut.cz
Fri Sep 22 07:23:06 PDT 2006

Václav Haisman wrote, On 22.9.2006 14:41:
> Hi,
> I want to set up OpenVPN to create and configure tun0 interface and
> connect to OpenVPN server. The main obstacle seems to be my inability to
> configure either OpenVPN or FreeBSD to actually create that tun0 interface.
>
> If I try to create it manually I get this:
>
> $ ifconfig -v tun create inet 192.168.23.203 192.168.23.1
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> The kernel config has the "device tun" line and there are tun[0-3] in /dev.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> Vaclav Haisman

The problme was on the server, it had my address restricted in firewall.

I managed to make the tunnel. And I could ping the 192.168.23.1 address
from mine 192.168.23.4. I had to restart the serivce because I did some
changes to the OpenVPN client configuraton. Now I cannot ping again. But
according to tcpdump the connection is there. And I cannot even ping
mine 192.168.23.4. Missing routes or someting, after I restarted the serice?

--
VH