Problems with OpenVPN+routing and creating tun0 interface

Jussi, Petteri Nummikko jpn at doom.fi
Fri Sep 22 06:25:06 PDT 2006

Václav Haisman wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to set up OpenVPN to create and configure tun0 interface and
> connect to OpenVPN server. The main obstacle seems to be my inability to
> configure either OpenVPN or FreeBSD to actually create that tun0 interface.
>
> If I try to create it manually I get this:
>
> $ ifconfig -v tun create inet 192.168.23.203 192.168.23.1
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> The kernel config has the "device tun" line and there are tun[0-3] in /dev.
>
> So what am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> Vaclav Haisman

I had the same problem in 6.0 but not anymore in 6.1. If I remember
correctly how I fixed it in 6.0, I just echoed null to /dev/tun0. But if
you already have those devices I'm not sure anymore. Are you specifying
the device in openvpn.con as "dev tun" or "dev tun[n]"? In 6.1 releng I
have only "dev tun" and it creates the device by itself. But in OpenBSD
I have to specify the device number also, even if there was just one of
them.